Thursday 5 September 2013

Sewing projects on the go - aka my first attempt to post pics...

OK, I'm going to try and post a few pics of some projects I have in my mind to complete:

First up, A lovely 1940's dress that was a gift from the lovely and talented Adeline's Attic The poor thing was in rather rough shape in some areas, but I fell in love with the colour and style - and it was great fun wearing it at the Hamilton Plane Museum for the New Year's celebration and dance!




Not the best pic




The poor neckline!














No, I have no idea what happened to that poor neckline...it looks like something was perhaps violently removed, maybe an attached collar of some sort with more soutach on it? In any case, I'm hoping to use some bias binding or tape to at least cover up all around the nackline (just happened to find the perfect match in colour, turns out the dress is considered "plum" coloured, how lucky was that??), as well as doing some very careful patching in a couple of tinay areas (moth nibbles?). It fits rather well, and the only other thing I may do is neaten up the shoulder pads (or try to duplicate them exactly, they really need refreshing / neatening up)

Another project currently being procrastinated:

An ordinary light purple cardigan (mauve?) purchased during the Tilley Endurables warehouse sale a few years back (told you I was procrastinating *lol*):




Great face for radio





Rather plain-jane, yes? I've already swapped out the buttons for some purple pearly-looking beauties, and I have an embroidery pattern designed that I want to add - just some simple lazy-daisy flowers and a dragonfly somewheres around them. I want to try and "fit" the sweater a little better to me, and was even thinking of cropping it a little (a la 1930's style, but not too high. Have a muffin-top I'd like to keep under cover, thank you very much ;) ) I'm thinking of keeping the embroidery up around the shoulder / bust area to keep the focus up there and not down by the hips - why the heck to almost all sweater designers put all of the fancy-pants designs and such down by the fucking hips?? Or does the Boomer generation (and 70's children like myself) not matter anymore? Frankly I take my purchasing power, such as it is, to where it's appreciated - or at least where I can buy decent and classic items that are designed for someone that actually eats.


Bah! Enough of my bitching! Think I'll grab a martini and contemplate getting off my duff and getting sewing. More projects and dreams (and perhaps ranting) later...

TTFN

2 comments:

  1. That 1940s dress is such a wonderfully lovely, rich colour (I used to have long tone on tone damask curtains in nearly the same hue at my last house). I agree, it really does seem like something was violently ripped from the collar. I had a garment look like that once on the hem, when it managed to get caught (and rip off a piece) in the agitator of the washing machine (thankfully it wasn't a vintage item). It's a slim chance, certainly, but maybe this dress was similarly damaged in the wash.

    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* Thank you very much for your wonderfully nice blog comment today. Ooohh, that would be so marvelous! I'd love it if someone republished vintage Eatons catalogs (and if Woodwards ever put out any, some of those too, pretty please!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more regarding the catalogues! :) Thanks so much for YOUR kind comments, too *lol*
      Hey, that's quite a good theory as to what might have happened to that neckline, it's my new reason for it being damaged ;)

      Delete