Monday 18 January 2021

Well, what the heck do I do now...?

 I wish I had more interesting stuff to write about...

I'm a pretty boring person these days - then again, much like everyone else out there this Covid stuff is really rather cramping my style ;)   I have been unemployed for a while, and I decided to stop looking for work during these challenging times.  I live at home, and both parents are considered part of the "high-risk" group - as well as me not having a car or driving license - so the whole "working outside the home" and "taking public transit" isn't really an option for me now.  Blithely ignoring the fact that I am Celiac, which is an autoimmune disorder that may or may not put me at a slightly higher risk as well.

Yes, as a matter of fact I know how lucky I am to even have that choice.  I get no support from the government financially, so don't feel too jealous.  I am SO appreciative of not having to worry about food or shelter during this.  I am busy taking care of the household - kind of an extension or continuation of my former (non-trained) PSW duties for a short period in the past.  I was also able to pick up some work helping out a couple of friends of mine between lockdowns- cleaning up their large backyard, cleaning their windows inside and out - so at least I got out of the house for a bit.  And no, I really don't go out very often therefore cabin-fever becomes a very real issue once in a while.

I have also been occasionally trying out free online courses in various subjects.  I'm at a point in my life where my career goals are doing a serious pivot...but I'm still lost as to what I want to do.  I have too many things that interest me so I'm having a hard time narrowing it down.  I tried schooling for a set career in my past, but it didn't work out for me - I learned much for about the career I was training/studying for, and found it wasn't suitable.  My fear of wasting money like that again is holding me back - besides the fact that I still berate myself for making that kind of mistake, even though it's been decades.  I tried Employment Ontario, did a bunch of tests and went to some seminars, pre-Covid.  Gave up on that...and besides, my assigned counselor is so busy now with others that I've been lost in the shuffle.  So much for "I know people that are hiring, send me your resume and..."  Nothing has come of that, nor will it ever.  A bit f a waste of my time.  LinkedIn is quickly becoming a joke to me, and it's so very depressing every time I go on it.  It's becoming very Facebook-ish, nothing but success stories and falseness.  And while there's opportunities for working from home, there's so many scams out there it's ridiculous!  That, and my home situation isn't very conducive to working from home - most of the offerings out there I've seen is for Admin Assistant, and that's a career I am no longer willing to pursue (no matter how much my Mum wants me to). 

I have quite a bit to be thankful for and appreciative of.  So why am I writing all this stuff?  Call it peeling back the veneer of my selfish, self-centered, ugly self.  I am an introvert/ambivert, did I mention that?  Trust me, sticking me in a household for almost a year by now is really starting to wear on my nerves. *lol*  I get almost no time alone anymore, there's no such thing as quiet, and I'm feeling as though I'm constantly expected to be available for almost anything at any time (meaning if they decide to do something, I HAVE to be available to help no matter what I may be involved in myself).  Our house has many stairs, many levels (tall and narrow, a good suburban house), and there's quite a bit to do around here...and I honestly don't think they can handle it all on their own anymore.  But moving elsewhere automatically involves me going with them (I NEED to find work post-Covid!), which is enormously kind of them...but...I don't want to be stuck living together for the rest of my life.


Well, now that's off my chest, and in your ears (well, eyes technically...but whatever!).  Thank you for reading, and let's see if I can come up with something a little more interesting next time rather than just babbling on about my sorry little self.  Any questions?

No comments:

Post a Comment